Photo by Mission Resource Conservation District
History of Mission Resource Conservation District
Mission Resource Conservation District was organized on September 14, 1944 as the Middle San Luis Rey Soil Conservation District. The initial efforts centered on the need to store runoff water, correct the erosion occurring on dry-farmed grain and bean land, and protect the level land along the larger streams and river.
In over 70 years of operation, the farming methods and land use patterns in the District have changed dramatically. Farming changed from non-irrigated crops to irrigated orchards, row crops and pasture; and the trend of land ownership has been toward small farms averaging five to ten acres. In 1971, the name of the District was changed to Mission Resource Conservation District to reflect a broader emphasis on the conservation of soil, water and other natural resources. Presently, land uses within the boundaries of the District include residential, agriculture, commercial, industrial and public lands.